Thursday, December 16, 2010

Update to "Relocating"

Well friends, it is now December 16th and I have yet to receive even one call back. This is a lot harder than I thought. We have made plans to visit our city of choice in March and will be financially ready to move at that time if an opportunity arises. In all of my research over the last 7-8 months, I have realized that remote job hunting is pretty much a waste of time. Why would a company waste time on you when there are so many more potential local candidates, unless you have something very special to offer that is hard to find? And as I have read, if you're searching for that perfect job it generally will never make it to the want ad section, that's why networking is so important. If the job isn't filled using word of mouth and inside people knowing someone with the desired skills that is currently in the market, it may then be given to a recruiter in wich thousands of local candidates will be given the opportunity before an out of state resume is given a first glance. I've also heard that if you're serious about moving and wanting to be in that city, just do it. Well, to me that is very extreme, especially when you have a family. I can understand that being doable for a single person. Lets say you do just up and move and you still can't find work and your funds are now depleted, then what. There are no guarantees that you will be hired just for being there in the city. With the economy being the way it is now and so many people being unemployed, I couldn't justify taking that chance.
So the search continues... I will update after my week long visit in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment